Friday, February 28, 2014

Strengthing the Bonds of Friendship



Learning about Early Childhood programs globally has awakened my passion for all children who live in poverty but have the willingness to explore and learn. The Children’s Defense Fund and the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) are important advocates and resources for the education and care of young children. They keep educators informed of current issues and trends of child and family needs. These are resources that I will utilize.  

There are many challenges that face parents today. Immigrant families face larger challenges. Coming to a new county they face the loss of traditional support networks. They experience feelings of isolation without their support system. When they come to early childhood programs we have to be culturally responsive and be ready to extend a welcoming hand to help the family adjust. Knowing different cultures and language is important and beneficial to families and children especially when we hire bilingual staff. 

Professional growth has to come from within. We have to have the passion and the motivation to make a difference. We as advocates must have our voice heard for equality in hopes of making inequalities go away. Supporting families and their children have to come from people who really care and want to make a difference in someone else’s life.

2 comments:

  1. Diana, professional and personal growth does come from within and you do have the passion for this field. Usually I do not think about the situations that many families are in except if they are in my center, but this course did get me to thinking that I need to get out of my own little world and see the big picture with immigrates, language barriers, and poverty. I help the families in my center but I should broaden my contacts.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,
    I agree, having passion for the field does drive professional growth. I think one aspect that ignites my passion for the profession is maintaining a connection to professional organizations and participating in ongoing professional development--a connection that has been strengthened through the resources in the class. Best of luck in the rest of your studies! Sarah

    ReplyDelete