Saturday, October 19, 2013

Examining Code of Ethics

To be a part of a profession that provides a Code of Ethics is very important to me. I think it brings an added importance of who we are and what we are trying to achieve. As I examined the ideals, I realized that we as professionals have high expectations to live by because it is so important that we do the right thing for people we are involved with.

The following are ideals that I want to promote within my program.

1. Recognize and respect the unique qualities, abilities, and potential of each child(NAEYC, 2005).

2. Create and maintain safe and healthy settings that foster children’s social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development and that respect their dignity and their contributions (NAEYC, 2005).

3. Support the right of each child to play and learn in an inclusive environment that meets the needs of children with and without disabilities (NAEYC, 2005).

4. Ensure that each child’s culture, language, ethnicity, and family structure are recognized and valued in the program (NAEYC, 2005).

5. Rely upon evidence based research and interventions to inform our practice with children and families in our care (Division for Early Childcare, 2000).

I think it is so important to be culturally responsive to children and families. I believe we must offer them guidance and support and be ethical when we interact with them. We are partners with families and children as we try to make a better place for them to learn and grow. I will be respectful and go forward in my professional life by being ethically responsive.

Reference
NAEYC. (2005, April). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment. Retrieved
           May 26, 2010, from http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.pdf

The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved
          May 26, 2010, from http://www.dec-sped.org/

2 comments:

  1. Diana,
    The DEC was new to me. Before this course I didn't know it existed. But truthfully in our quest to be looked at as a professional and not just a babysitter it is a feather in our cap to have a code of ethics. Thanks for sharing!
    Davey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,
    I concur that being culturally responsive to children and families is very important in our quest to be partners in children's growth, and to be able to offer the best possible guidance and support in their development.
    I also wanted to say thank you for always responding to posts with probing questions that encouraged our classmates and I to think deeper about what we were saying. You deepened my knowledge of myself and encouraged me to examine why I think the way I do and why I do things the way I do. I wish you success in all of your endeavors and hope we have other courses together at Walden University!

    ReplyDelete